- Here — Yahan
- There — Wahan
- Near — Paas
- Turn — Moud
- Crossing (intersection) — Chauraha
- Round-about — Gol-chakkar
- Street — Sadak/gali
- Next street — Agli sadak/gali
- Toward — Ki aur
- Straight — Sidhe
- Behind — Pichhe
- At the corner. — Kone par.
- Cross (to cross a road) — Paar karna
- Where — Kahan (questions)/ Jahan (affirmatives)
- Can you help me? — Kya aap meri madad kar sakte hain?
Kya aap kar sakte hain? (here means: can you?) | aap (you) | meri (my) | madad (help).
- Can you tell me the directions? — Kya aap mujhe raasta bata sakte hain?
Kya aap bata sakte hain? (here means: can you tell?) | aap (you) | mujhe (me) | bata (tell) | raasta (means way, can be used for directions).
- Where is this place? — Yeh jagah kahan hai?
Yeh (this) | jagah (place) | kahan (where) | hai (literal sense: to exist).
- I want to go here/there (pointing to a map) — Main yahan/wahan jaana chahta hu.
Main (I) | yahan (here) | wahan (there) | jaana (go) | chahta (want to).
- Where is this restaurant? — Yeh restaurant kahan hai?
Yeh (this) | kahan (where) | hai (literal sense: to exist).
- The restaurant is close to SBI bank. — Restaurant SBI bank ke paas hai.
Ke (here means: to) | paas (near or close) | hai (literal sense: to exist).
- What are the places to hang around? — Aas-paas ghumne ke liye konsi jagah hai?
Aas-paas (nearby or around) | ghumne ke liye (to hang) | konsi (which or what) | jagah (places or places).
- Can you show me on the map? — Kya aap mujhe map par dikha sakte hain?
aap (you) | mujhe (me) | map par (on the map) | dikha (show) | sakte hain? (here means: can you?).
- Is this the right way to/for Ram Temple? — Kya Ram Mandir ke liye yeh raasta sahi hai?
Kya (not the exact translation, here means: is) | mandir (temple) | ke liye (for/to) | yeh (this) | raasta (way/road) | sahi (correct/right).
- Yes, it’s the right way. — Haan, yeh raasta sahi hai.
Haan (yes) | sahi (right/correct).
- No, it’s the wrong way. — Nahi, yeh raasta galat hai.
Nahi (no/not), galat (wrong/incorrect).
- Is there any ATM nearby? — Aas-paas koi ATM hai kya?
Aas-paas (nearby/around) | koi (here means: any) | hai kya? (here means: is there?).
- How far is it? — Kitni duur hai?
Kitni (here means: how) | duur (far).
- It’s a kilometer ahead/away. — Yeh ek kilometer aage/duur hai.
Yeh (it) | ek (one) | aage (ahead/forward) | duur (far/away).
- It will be to your right/left. — Yeh tumhare sidhe/ulte haath par hoga.
Tumhare (your) | sidhe (right) | ulte (left) | haath (hand) | par (here means: to) | hoga (will be). Remember— “sidhe” also means straight. Ask again, if you have to, to make it clear whether to go straight or go right. Also, “sidhe haath par” & “ulte haath par” phrases mean to right hand side & to left hand side. These phrases are quite common in daily-to-day hindi language.
- Where does this road/way go to? — Yeh raasta kahan jaata hai?
jaata (here means: go).
- Where can I take a bus from? — Main bus kahan se le sakta hu?
- When does the bus come here? — Yahan bus kab aati hai?
Yahan (here) | kab (when) | aati hai (comes/does come).
- When will the bus come? — Bus kab aayegi?
Kab (when) | aayegi (will come).
- Where is this bus going to? — Yeh bus kahan jaa rhi hai?
Yeh (this) | kahan (where) | jaa rahi hai (going).
- Is this bus going to Noida? — Kya yeh bus Noida jaa rhi hai?
Kya (here means: is, not the exact translation).